Tuesday, November 10, 2020

 John Calvi’s 2020 Year End Letter

 

Dear Friends,                                                                                                  

 

Well, this has turned out to be a year of stunning revelations and struggles.  I began with a writing retreat in Southern California that became a race across country as the pandemic set in.  Home by end of March, Marshall and I quarantined and adjusted to the new norms – masked ventures to the post office/grocery stores only, shocking after long careers of extensive travel.

 

All my teaching work went to Zoom.  Client work became appointments by phone.  I was happy to discover that the energy work given me was able to be felt deeply by most participants via internet.  Requests for my teaching increased as more groups saw the need for help with widespread trauma.  The pandemic and frightening politics put many in a state of extreme anxiety and depression.  My nearly four decades of work with sexual assault survivors, prisoners, tortured refugees, AIDS, and hospice seemed to be all preparation for the current state of despair exacerbating the regular ills of life.  I’ve been much in demand.

 

My thanks for the many inquiries as to Marshall’s health.  His exposure to petrol chemical herbicide affected the thyroid.  He is much improved.  He is my very best editor and IT person.

 

Both my books continue to help professionals and survivors.  The Dance Between Hope & Fear (2013) is about trauma and healing, plus avoiding burnout.  How Far Have You Traveled (2019) is about knowing your goodness, an important part of healing, wholeness, and being of service.

Reviews and feedback have been very positive and the small income is useful too.  These are available at Quaker Books and Amazon.  They will also be available in Ebook form very soon- check Kindle on Amazon.

 

Late October proved most challenging.  I awoke one morning with a frightening shortness of breath.  A trip to the ER and I was diagnosed with pulmonary emboli (blood clots in the lung).  Treatments of blood thinners, rest/exercise, and diet have brought immediate improvement.  A recovery period of three to six months is expected.  I am resting at home, am out of danger, have had no pain, and am on the mend. I am grateful for good quality healthcare. 

 

In order to rest thoroughly, I have had to cancel work through December and will not be responding to email or phone calls. It’s fortunate that this temporary trouble comes so close to my annual period of rest. As good health returns, I will focus on my writing and look forward to teaching invitations for 2021.  I am relieved and happy my diagnosis is not complicated by Covid- I tested negative.  I am very grateful to recover at home with Marshall.

 

Some of you have already responded with generous gifts.  I am so grateful that my 39 years of hands-on work, teaching, and writing has been possible via gifts.  You are my lifeline to continue.  Please send a gift, help me get well, and move on to be of help come Spring.  There is still much good that needs doing and I hope to be part of the effort to bring more Light.

 

Thank you,   John Calvi

PO Box 301 Putney 05346   johncalvi.com   paypal.me/JohnCalvi

 

PS lost my singing voice, auctioning my Martin D-35 Guitar and banjo soon, see blog at johncalvi.com

John Calvi’s 2020 Complete Calendar 

Zoom presentations lectures workshops consultations

January & February   Writing retreat  Claremont CA

February 24  Friends in need  Las Vegas NV

March 27  New England Yearly Meeting  Worcester MA

Preparing for Pastoral Care During COVID-19  YouTube

April 6  Pendle Hill Love in the Time of Coronavirus  Media PA YouTube

April 20  Pendle Hill  Staying Centered Amidst Uncertainty & Loss  Media PA YouTube

May 9 & 10  Cambridge Friends Mtg workshop Cambridge MA

June 28 – July 4  FGC Summer Gathering workshop Radford VA

July 10 & 11  North Carolina Yrly Mtg Con Greensboro NC

July 21 & 23  Vermont Positive Living Coalition   Montpelier VT

September 9  Santa Fe Meeting  Ministry & Counsel Santa Fe NM

October 23  Vermont Positive Living Coalition  Montpelier VT

**November 3 New England Yearly Meeting stress reduction New England

**November 6-8  Colorado Regional Meeting Friends  Denver CO

**November 14  Powell House Recovering- Elections/Covid Old Chatham NY

**November 21  Quaker Center workshop stress reduction Ben Lomond CA

**December 3  Alliant International University  Marriage & Family Counseling 

** CANCELLATIONS DUE TO PULMONARY EMBOLI

 

Celebrating KINDLE EBOOK for my books 

The Dance Between Hope & Fear (2013) AND How Far Have You Traveled? (2019)

available from - Quakerbooks.org and Amazon, Ebook on Kindle

JOHNCALVI.COM   My website has been redesigned with videos and new pictures.  

 

On YouTube  Undoing the Damage Done by Violence”  QuakerSpeak  4:19 min  Oct 2014 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5gu3ecqzsA

Love in the time of Covid Pendle Hill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7scU6TOgMxk&t=1713s

NEYM – Pastoral Care During Covid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgV3tq949gY&t=363s

 

On the Radio  My radio interview on healing and torture.  Listen free or purchase CD. 

http://www.northernspiritradio.org/index.asp?command=adosearch

 

The Quaker Initiative to End Torture- QUIT!      www.quit-torture-now.org

I continue as the founding convener of QUIT! Teaching about American torture history and present.

 

PLEASE SEND A GIFT TO MY ADDRESS BELOW OR  paypal.me/JohnCalvi   

Definitions- a donation carries the expectation of work for which I am taxed.  

A gift is given out of respect, affection, or charity such as : 

my birthday- May 14, my wedding anniversary- August 26, Christmas gift- December  25

P. O. Box 301  Putney VT 05346

Thanks for all your help & support.  I’ve been on the road 39 years thanks to the care of many!

 

PS lost my singing voice, auctioning my Martin D-35 Guitar and banjo soon, see blog at johncalvi.com