Tuesday, November 10, 2020

 Buy This Suitcase – John Calvi  April 2018

 

Did I ever tell you this story?  I was just out of massage school in Boulder Colorado in the Spring of 1984.  I was doing lots of massage with rape survivors and people with AIDS and not being paid for it.  I got too tired with that work to keep washing muffins tins at a friends bakery during the night shift and I was very poor.  I was wondering what I was going to do to keep body and soul together.  

 

Our little rental group house was across the street from the Salvation Army store and I had begun my regular visits trolling to find the things I couldn’t afford at regular prices.  I found a banquet tablecloth of wonderful white jacquard linen that was very wide and several feet long.  It became the wallpaper/insulation for my tiny sun porch bedroom.

 

One day at the thrift store I heard voices telling me to buy an old Samsonite suitcase.  I was not used to hearing voices, but I did choose one and brought it home.  And then it happened again.  And again.  By and by I had six ancient suitcases and they sat in my bedroom in a stack.  I wondered what was going on.  Why did the voices command this and what was to be done with them?  I didn’t have enough $ to fill the car with gas.

 

After a time, I began to get invitations to teach massage for AIDS and trauma and to teach avoiding burnout during crisis work all across country.  And so I left Boulder, though I thought I would live there forever.

 

I found more suitcases along the way and I had a traveling work where all the suitcases were well used.  Sometimes just before a big trip, I’d find a wonderful “new” suitcase.  Just before I met Marshall I found a really big suitcase and got to thinking I must be going on a really big trip!  I certainly was – I moved from Vermont to Los Angeles to be with Marshall.

 

When we found our home in Vermont, I gave away most of the suitcases to an AIDS auction at a Quaker conference.  Now I have a collection of maybe 25 leather bags instead.

 

I still go to the thrift shops and listen for voices.  I’m still traveling for work and still on the big trip of my life with Marshall.